Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Lowestoft Online Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 174 Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Food, glorious food!  (Read 103465 times)
Trigger
Lowestoft Online Addict

Food, glorious food! « Posted: 04 March 2011 at 10:50 PM »

Here’s the place to share your ideas, recipes, successes, disasters, etc of that favourite of ours - food!  Whether it’s the good homely fare as mother used to make, the simple, basic every day fare, or the more exotic stuff - e.g. “take twelve eggs” as per Mrs Beeton, let’s hear about your experiences.

My “culinary delight” today came within the “basic” category - sausage and chips - but a slight variation on!  I never seem to get the cooking of sausages right - whether fried or grilled - they're either over or underdone!  So I now take the cheats’ route - skin them - put the meat into a bowl , mix well adding any spices/herbs you deem necessary- and turn them into Sausage Patties!  I used “Lincolnshire Sausages” from M&S for this - they’re right for my taste - and I grilled them.  I’ve recently discovered Potato Wedges - and cook them in my Halogen Oven - which gives much better results than my ordinary oven.  This served with a portion of Baked Beans and a slice of bread and butter . . . made a most enjoyable meal.

“Art is in the eye of the camera holder”
Meg
Global Moderator
Lowestoft Online Addict

I love Lowestoft but I love Oklahoma more!

Re: Food, glorious food! « Reply #1 Posted: 04 March 2011 at 11:15 PM »

Today was a gloomy day -not cold just gloomy.So I made a meat pie and some homemade fishcakes to put in the freezer.I love to cook on days like this and the smells coming from the kitchen-yummy!I also had some letover patry so made Bob a miniature meat pie and a mince pie too.

Trigger
Lowestoft Online Addict

Re: Food, glorious food! « Reply #2 Posted: 05 March 2011 at 07:29 AM »

Any comments/advice + your experiences about “Healthy Eating” would be very much appreciated.  Whilst many of us may think we do - can we be sure that we do?  For example - do you manage your "5-A-Day" - I confess I struggle - 3-a-day is probably nearer the truth.  Here’s a link to the NHS site: http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/5aday/pages/5adayhome.aspx/.

funkychick
Global Moderator
Lowestoft Online Addict

You may leave, but you'll return

Re: Food, glorious food! « Reply #3 Posted: 05 March 2011 at 07:57 AM »

I ve recently realised I am wheat intolerant and have for the last few weeks been on a gluten free eating plan Its not as difficull as I thought it would be and once I get completely used to the not so obvious things I'll be away. Its made an enormous differemce to me already healthwise. Although I now cant eat  mainstream bread cakes biscuits pastries (I m not a great eater of cakes and biscuits anyway but did like my bread) you can buy gluten free flour bread etc The bread isnt as nice  and very expensive but |I will get used to it  but the flour makes beautifully light cakes and my grandson made me a beautiful birthday cake yesterday with it and the verdict was that it was nicer than ordinary cakes ( not just as a compliment to him it really was) my grandaughter completed it with bright pink icing lovely . I seem fine with dairy products meat veg fruit so really not missing out too much No processed food ( not a bad thing) as they all have wheat flour in them and I have to watch things like fish in batter or breadcrumbs but can do my own batter so not that bad really  Glad its not a dairy intolerence as I love cheese, butter, eggs milk etc I can use oat cakes or cereal made with maize so its actually OK and worth that bit of extra thought needed 
Trigger
Lowestoft Online Addict

Re: Food, glorious food! « Reply #4 Posted: 05 March 2011 at 09:28 AM »

Thanks for sharing that funky - I think that we if we have to change our dietary habits - it’s more the fear of the unknown that is uppermost in our minds - and when we do make the change - it’s usually not as bad as we thought!

I remember that a lady I worked with had to have a gluten-free diet.  She had to attend a official “Dinner” in Ipswich and notified the organisers accordingly.  When the meal was served - hers was the same as everybody else’s.  She spoke to the waiter who got the Chef to speak to her.  He asked what the problem was - so she explained - and his response was “You’ll see that everybody has the same as you - that’s because they’re all having the same gluten-free meal!”

funkychick
Global Moderator
Lowestoft Online Addict

Re: Food, glorious food! « Reply #5 Posted: 05 March 2011 at 09:44 AM »

To be honest Trigger Ive  only been out for one lunch time meal since I have been gluten free and it wasnt a problem I had a very posh big chunky home cooked burger ( no bun) chips and a beautiful salad I asked 'if I dont have the bun can I have extra salad and chips' and it was lovely  If I go to a chinese or Indian as long as I stick to rice and not noodles ( I love noodles but can buy myself gluten free ones and they taste as good) but in a restaurant I d just avoid them

So i'd say if anyone on here has to go gluten free dont worry its not the end of good eating and may be a lot better for you
Boatbuilder
John
Administrator
Lowestoft Online Addict

I've learnt to take everything life throws at me!!

Re: Food, glorious food! « Reply #6 Posted: 05 March 2011 at 09:48 AM »

- do you manage your "5-A-Day" - I confess I struggle - 3-a-day is probably nearer the truth. 

I don't really find that problem.  I have a glass of fruit juice and a banana with my cereal at 5-30am - (that's 2) a piece of fruit with my mid-morning break and at least another one at lunchtime.   A portion of veg with my evening meal followed by another portion of fruit.    Total 6.  

Stretched Oyster
Aussie K
Lowestoft Online Addict

Re: Food, glorious food! « Reply #7 Posted: 06 March 2011 at 12:23 AM »

I am continually having to watch what I am eating because it is so easy to put on weight and very difficult to take it off, I know that I drink more than is recommended so it restricts me eating as mush as I could. I am most fortunate that I am very energetic in all that I do and it helps me no end in controlling my diet.
I can eat any food put in front of me and I am not finicky at all, I believe that eating any thing and every thing in moderation is good for your health, I don't think myself there is any such thing as junk food, kFc.s, macs, fish & chips Etc are all foods that can be eaten it a controlled way.
I nowadays do much of the cooking, I can & do Sundays a roast and I do enough for four big meals, then it covers for people turning up unexpectedly and if not for Mondays dinner. The joint that is left serves as cut meat for during the week. It is not unusual to have six or seven vegetables for that meal alone, ie Potatoes two varieties, cabbage  & Brock, carrots, swede & Parsnip. No sweet.
I am over weight at 12st. 7lb. but it's not in the obese category and it is slowly decreasing.
malcolm
Lowestoft Online Addict

I Love Lowestoft!

Re: Food, glorious food! « Reply #8 Posted: 06 March 2011 at 12:39 AM »

Your weight Aussie only means anything in relation to your height. Giving one figure means nothing. At 5ft 11 ins and weighing 14stone i am over weight but work out hard in the gym so a lot of that is muscle which weighs heavy.
You must look at all aspects and simply taking weight on its own is not accurate.

Forever Yellow
funkychick
Global Moderator
Lowestoft Online Addict

Re: Food, glorious food! « Reply #9 Posted: 06 March 2011 at 08:01 AM »

I m afraid you are wrong Aussie that there is no such thing as junk food most processed food is junk food because of all the additives, chemicals, sugar and salt content. Also because they can be quite addictive and many people don't have just one mac a month 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 174 Go Up
Print
Admin options
Jump to: