Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Lowestoft Online Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

Pages: [1] Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wreck off gorleston beach  (Read 5986 times)
Old Spice
Wreck off gorleston beach « Posted: 24 November 2010 at 10:21 AM »

Just off the beach at Gorleston and visible at low tide are the skeletal remains of what I'm told is a wreck.
Does anyone know anything about it ?.
munga
Veteran Member

Offshore Tiger

Re: Wreck off gorleston beach « Reply #1 Posted: 24 November 2010 at 11:14 AM »

I have often wondered that myself, its at the bottom end of the beach opposite the car park on the clifftop, Hopton end of the beach. I have tried to research it online and found nothing
Old Spice
Re: Wreck off gorleston beach « Reply #2 Posted: 24 November 2010 at 11:27 AM »

I had a look on a couple of fishing forums and they suggest its a coal carrying boat called the White Swan that was wrecked about seventy years ago.
munga
Veteran Member

Offshore Tiger

Re: Wreck off gorleston beach « Reply #3 Posted: 24 November 2010 at 11:39 AM »

Just found this...
An old Swan Line Ltd collier completed in April 1903 by the Blyth SB Company Ltd (Yard No.113) and owned by J. A. Dixon and T. N. Sample of Newcastle, the single screw White Swan was en-route from West Hartlepool to Liverpool when she went down on 17th November 1916. Measuring 287.3ft long with a 43.2ft beam and weighing 2,173 gross tons, she dragged her anchor and ran aground. It took 13 hours to get the twenty-strong crew off by Breeches Buoy. Their only steamer, the loss of the White Swan put Swan Line out of business.

Read more: http://www.angliankayakangling.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=where&thread=1053&page=1#5045#ixzz16COs1XLn
bombtheb

"History with its flickering lamp"

Re: Wreck off gorleston beach « Reply #4 Posted: 24 December 2010 at 11:22 PM »

Opposite the White Swan (due E) there is the wreck of a German Luftwaffe Dornier Do 17Z bomber, brought down in the sea by Light AA gunfire on 7 March 1941. Of the crew of four, one swam ashore and was captured on the beach in an exhausted state by soldiers, a second drowned in the attempt and was never found, and two others were rescued from the still-floating aircraft by a launch from Gorleston Harbour.

BC
Old Spice
Re: Wreck off gorleston beach « Reply #5 Posted: 04 January 2011 at 05:29 PM »

There are some great pics on that angliankayakforum,thanks for posting the link.
snapper35

You will never leave

Re: Wreck off gorleston beach « Reply #6 Posted: 19 September 2011 at 07:53 PM »

I'm glad you like them, I always have the camera with me when I paddle. Just stumbled on this by chance while doing some checking of co-ordinates for wrecks etc...

Really interested in the Dornier wreck of Gorleston; none marked due east but there is one south east and two to the northeast that are quite close in and not indentified as ships (though one may be the Gangaren, it's listed as the White Swan in the documentation I have in front of me but I think the co-ords were accidentally swapped). I need to get hold of the side imaging sonar again and go looking for that aircraft as that was a major passion for me in one time.

The trouble with proportional representation is the high proportion of fools represented.
dazdavies

I love Lowestoft!

Re: Wreck off gorleston beach « Reply #7 Posted: 22 September 2011 at 08:38 AM »

a wealth of information in your post. i have always wanted to take up kayakin but am way to busy. as i work for P&O cruises. i like all the pictures lowestoft/gorleston from the water they give a different perspective of the place. A lot of my family on my fathers side went down with there trawlers over the past century, sad really, but history, i can remember ELANI V hitting a sandbank i think. then they towed her out further out and blew her up i believe. also a trawler sinking just off the north denes it must have been late 70s. anyway less about. your photos are amazing, are they fishing rods on the back of your kayak? sorry if question seems dumb..
Pages: [1] Go Up
Print
Admin options
Jump to: